Sunday, February 12, 2012

How can I find out what GPU slot my Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor has?

How can I find out what slot my Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor has, and what graphics card it can run? I know I need a low profile card, but how high does the power usage need to be? And will the card need to have a certain size? (I don't know how to locate the card when I take PC apart. I know where RAM slots and the Hard drive are, but not the GPU).How can I find out what GPU slot my Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor has?The slot is right alongside the only PCI slot. The PCI slot will be white, and the "GPU slot" will likely be black (it is on my 740). Your machine has a PCI Express (or PCIe) x16 slot in it, but be careful, since it does not have room for a full-sized card. You'll have to get a "low profile" card to make it work. I just upgraded several of these at work and we chose an XFX Geforce 8400GS card, which ran about $70 and supported dual monitors.



This gives you the specific answer, but the question you really asked is how to find out, and the best way is to go to dell.com/support and enter your Service Tag, then go to "upgrade options" and see what types they suggest. That's where I went to find out it was PCIe and then went shopping elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment